Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Chapter 1.8 - The First Heir

The Bennett Household has been a busy place as of late. For instance, as is tradition for my writing in this journal, a birthday happened. But, not just one birthday happened--three did!


Tabaitha's birthday was a quiet family party. She spent the day doing arts with her brother and father...


...while I cooked a birthday lunch for her.


We all enjoyed lunch, and prior to cake, Tabby got in a few last minutes with her doll house.



Tabby looked happy as she blew out the candles. And she became quite the looker as a teenager, let me tell you. Buddy told her that we'd forgo the birthday photographs like we did for Tyriel, only if she promised not to stay out late with boys. We all laughed, but Tabby had a mischievous twinkle in her eye.  She's going to be a handful!


Luckily, the Sculptor's wheel that Buddy got her for her birthday (since he got Tyriel an Architect's table for his) kept her occupied a lot of the time. She still came in late from time to time, but we didn't ask, and she didn't tell. She didn't need to. I knew. But I trusted her to be smart. She never came home with any of the boys in tow, but she definitely had fun out with them.


Tyriel and Tabaitha made great homework partners, and they usually finished very quickly when they worked together.


However, when Tabby went out on her late night outings with her friend Toni Roush, I helped Tyriel with the last of his homework. We chatted quite a bit as well. He has a crush on Tabby's friend Toni, but I don't know that she's right for him. I'm reserving judgement, however, and will let him go about it as he so chooses.

Sooner than we knew, it was a shared birthday for both Buddy and Tyriel! I couldn't believe it. Our little Tyriel was about to become a young adult! But it was so scary as well--Buddy was about to become an elder. Which means that my birthday isn't too far behind, sadly. There's still so much I want to do, but I don't know how much I can do. All I can do is work on them with a renewed fervor.


Before we had cake for Buddy and Tyriel, we all had a little time to ourselves. Buddy and I played a game of chess.


And Tyriel spent some time working out with a quick shower before the big birthday celebration with the four of us.


Buddy and Tyriel blew out the candles at the same time, and we sat down as a family to munch on the cake. Buddy was excited to work on some new painting ideas he had, and Tyriel was itching for a haircut now that he was officially a young adult. I decided to hold off on talking to him until he got the haircut so that I could figure out what to say to him.


When Ty got home, I was sitting in front of the television. Not watching, per se, but more having it on in the background while I thought. Ty sat down next to me, and we sat in companionable silence for a little while before I started the conversation.


"Ty, I have something to tell you. I didn't worry you and your sister with this when you were little, but, I want you to be the heir of this family. I want you to continue our legacy in Twinbrook. I love you, and I believe you can do great things in both your personal life and professional life." There. I said it.


Ty's response wasn't at all comforting, and for the life of me I can't even remember what he said except that he didn't feel he was a good fit. He rambled a bit about why, but I was in too much shock that he didn't want to become the heir.


I guess he took pity on me, however, and said he'd give it a try. I really hope he more than "gives it a try". I honestly think he'll do some amazing things in his life, and he'll be a very good fit for the family heir, much as he doesn't think so.

So then, I hereby pass this journal onto Tyriel Bennett as the official heir to the Bennett family. I love you Tyriel, I know you'll be a great heir.

No comments:

Post a Comment